By JEFF GEARINO - Southwest Wyoming bureau | Posted: Friday, March 26, 2010 1:00 am

Neighbor Becky Kelley examines a gauge as Ron Child looks at his home in Rock Springs late last year. The house is one of several in Rock Springs' 'Tree Street' area damaged by the state's July 2007 dynamic compaction process, according to homeowners. (Dan Cepeda/Star-Tribune)
ROCK SPRINGS -- State officials and "Tree Street" residents have agreed on the selection of a Colorado engineering firm to begin reinspections of the downtown neighborhood homes allegedly damaged during a 2007 mine subsidence project.
Wyoming Abandoned Mine Lands officials hired J.A. Cesare and Associates, a geotechnical engineering consultant located in Centennial, to perform the new inspections, homeowners said Thursday.
The Wyoming Legislature approved a budget amendment this past session that directs $120,000 to hire a "qualified" engineer to reinspect homes and assess damages.
The bill requires the damage assessments to be completed by the engineers within 90 days.
Based on the findings, Wyoming Attorney General Bruce Salzburg would then be required to provide new settlement offers to homeowners, according to the amendment.
Tree Street neighborhood spokeswoman Becky Kelley said homeowners were eager for the new inspections to begin. She said Cesare was one of two engineering firms that attorneys for the homeowners had recommended.
"We are hoping that Cesare is as good as what we've read about them," Kelley said. "It looks like the attorney general is going to follow through with the plan."
More than a dozen residents contend their homes in the Tree Street neighborhood were damaged during the mine subsidence project, which included an unproven-in-Wyoming pilot reclamation technique known as dynamic compaction.
The project aimed to free vacant lands on a tract adjacent to the neighborhood for much-needed housing that could not be developed because of mine subsidence issues.
For three weeks beginning July 17, 2007, AML contractors dropped 25- and 35-ton weights more than 2,300 times over undermined areas to collapse the underground mine voids.
Homeowners' complaints about damage halted the project.
Residents said vibrations from dynamic compaction shook homes, damaged foundations, cracked driveways, split walls and ceilings, and did other major damage.
The state sent in engineers to assess 19 damage claims submitted by residents and followed with settlement offers. All but two homeowners rejected the state's offer, however, contending it was way too low to adequately pay for repairs.
State officials and attorneys representing the homeowners have been engaged in discussions for more than a year trying to finalize the details of a mediated agreement that would lead to the new inspections.
AML spokesman Keith Guille did not return a phone call from the Star-Tribune by late Thursday afternoon.
In a Tuesday e-mail shared by Rep. Joe Barbuto, D-Rock Springs, Salzburg confirmed the hiring of Cesare and said the firm is planning to complete the work within the 90-day time period if at all possible.
"I will consider the report from Cesare and decide whether or not any new offers are appropriate," Salzburg wrote Barbuto.
AML officials also recently hired state-contracted engineers from Colorado-based Tetra Tech Inc. to resume an investigative drilling project this month in the neighborhood.
Their mission is to help determine the exact cause of the underground movement that continues to plague the Tree Street neighborhood and what mitigation measures will be required to stop it.
The new investigative drilling at various locations in the neighborhood is being conducted to supplement data previously collected in the area.
Contact southwest Wyoming bureau reporter Jeff Gearino at (307) 875-5359 or gearino@tribcsp.com
Posted in State-and-regional on Friday, March 26, 2010 1:00 am